PEIFAH Update for April 1, 2020
In our efforts to keep tenants as informed as possible we will be implementing a daily update on what we know. If you have any questions for our elected officials please let us know and we will do our best to find the answers.
- More on the Temporary Rental Assistance Benefit
- The Temporary Rental Assistance Benefit will provide up to $250 per month per household.
- Residents of Prince Edward Island who have been laid off or are facing financial hardships as a result of the COVID-19 crisis but do not qualify for existing rental assistance programs or social assistance may be eligible.
- The benefit will be paid directly to landlords.
More information on the benefit will be available in the upcoming days.
- FAQ from IRAC (The Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission) on Evictions
- IRAC just released an FAQ to clarify what a tenant should do if they receive an eviction notice. Please read through it carefully to understand the steps you should take if you receive an eviction notice.
- More information if you receive an eviction notice
- Section 34 of the PEI Residential Rental Property Act provides that anyone who contravenes a provision of the Act – for instance, by evicting a tenant without adequate Notice or grounds – is guilty of a summary conviction offence & liable to a fine of up to $2,000.
- So, if your landlord evicts you from your residence during the COVID-19 pandemic without following the procedures established by law, it may be worth a call to the Crown Attorney’s Office. Among multiple other potential calls (the media, IRAC, Public Health, Minister Hudson, your MLA, etc.)
If you know anyone who is a renter please share this information with them. Not everyone has access to a computer and they may not know their rights.
DISCLAIMER: In such a chaotic environment we will do our best, but due to the quick changes in information, we could be prone to out of date information or errors. If something we have said is incorrect, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.